First Blogging Assignment: First Impressions (Due Thursday September 29th)

September 21, 2016

For your first blog entry, please provide a description of the company where you will be working and a link to their website. If the company is not specifically media related, please discuss its relationship to media (for example, its social media strategy or presence). What will your primary responsibilities be at your internship? What elements of the company or industry do hope to learn more about and is there one particular aspect of the company that intrigues you?

In addition, please post your thoughtful responses to the following questions:

1. What have you learned so far about working in the media that you did not know before your internship?
  2. Have you discovered anything about the company and the media industry that is different from what you expected?
  3. To this point, is the internship what you expected? If so, please describe what you expected and how it’s fulfilled your original conception of the job. If it’s not what you thought it would be, describe how it is different from what you anticipated?
  4. What do you like most, so far about your internship? What are the valuable things that you have learned?
  5. Is there anything that you feel would enhance or improve your internship to this point?

Please approach this posting as if it were a journal entry or informal short essay assignment for a course. It’s probably a good idea to compose your response in Word or Pages and then cut and paste it to the blog. It is imperative that you regard this as a course assignment, rather than busy work, as successful and conscientious completion of these assignments is part of your grade. While the blog is meant to be informal, and you may discuss whatever you would like in relation to the foregoing questions, please ensure that you utilize proper grammar, spelling and use a thoughtful, academic approach.

As this is also meant to be a conversation between your colleagues, please reflect upon each other’s responses in the comment section that follows this post. and provide insight and feedback for each other’s observations. Please do so in a courteous and helpful manner.

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

5 Comments Add your own

• 1.    Rachel Olshin  |  September 26th, 2016 at 11:34 pm

I work for the political satire show, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (http://samanthabee.com/). The show is a half hour and broadcasted weekly, it examines and lampoons the political and societal hypocrisies of our day. I am a production intern that works specifically in the post-production department. My primarily responsibilities are organizing LTOs from previous and for upcoming shows, going on prop runs, preparing items for studio days, ingesting videos, and doing research for the field team. I am grateful for the opportunity to work in post-production, but I am most intrigued by the field department that does research and development for segments that Full Frontal does outside the studio. I am interested in it’s investigative nature, how the producers are able to shape a story and an angle from a simple article they read, and the power/responsibility they have in giving a voice to those not commonly heard on TV.
    There are many things that I have learned so far; I learned how to log LTOs, how to use BrightEye to ingest media, and how a writers meeting works. They are really good about giving us opportunities to experience different departments. This Wednesday, I will be going to my first studio shoot, and I am sure I will be learning a myriad of things from that experience. I have not discovered anything new about the media industry that I did not expect, but I think I was still surprised by how late the hours are for the people working on the show. Working on a weekly show is more then just a professional commitment; it’s a lifestyle commitment. One has to live and breathe the show to truly succeed in this environment.
    The internship is way better than I expected. I thought I would just be transcribing all-day, but the internship program is much more interactive. I have already gotten to sit in on a few important meetings, have met with different producers, and have gotten a taste of broadcasting life. I think I like best getting to sit in on the meetings; its really cool to be a fly on the wall in these creative settings, and to hear the inner-workings of this show. I also think this is the most valuable opportunity I have gotten thus far, as I am interested in the creative aspects of TV and the storytelling. I have no complaints about my internship, so far it has given me more then I originally thought.

• 2.    Rachel Olshin  |  September 27th, 2016 at 7:25 pm

The internship is way better than I expected. I thought I would just be transcribing all-day, but the internship program is much more interactive. I have already gotten to sit in on a few important meetings, have met with different producers, and have gotten a taste of broadcasting life. I think I like best getting to sit in on the meetings; its really cool to be a fly on the wall in these creative settings, and to hear the inner-workings of this show. I also think this is the most valuable opportunity I have gotten thus far, as I am interested in the creative aspects of TV and the storytelling. I have no complaints about my internship, so far it has given me more than I originally thought.

• 3.    Robert Herrera  |  September 28th, 2016 at 12:58 am

Robert Herrera

I am working for the Madison Square Garden Company. The website for this company is TheGarden.com. Madison Square Garden is commonly referred to as the “World’s Greatest Arena” because of the historic events in sports and entertainment that have taken place in Madison Square Garden.

My primary responsibility at this internship is working with the building operations team, handling everyday operations around the Knicks and Rangers Training Facility in Tarrytown, New York. I’m working during the beginning of the season for both teams so I will also work with the media that comes in the facility and have a behind the scenes look at the events like press conferences, live stream practices, and the “Media Day” for both Knicks and Rangers.

One element I’d hope to learn about the industry is how things are prepped and coordinated for the public. I will see events be set up so I’d like to learn how a vision is put into reality for the viewers.

Questions:

1. So far I have learned that there isn’t just one person for a specific job. For example, the Knicks Public Relations consists of 6 people who work as a team with their own individual duties to get a job done. I learned that teamwork is important in this industry.

2. I discovered that The Madison Square Garden Company owns other venues beside Madison Square Garden. The Chicago Theater, Radio City Music Hall, and the Forum in California are three other venues owned by the company.

3. So far this internship is what I expected in terms of networking and meeting people I’ve looked up to. In two weeks I’ve met people that I’ve seen on television, heard on radio, and read their articles. I’m given an opportunity to be around these people and speak with them. My original conception of this job was different because I thought I’d be with in an office with other interns working with people my age, doing projects, and not really interacting with other people within company. However, this internship has over 100+ with over 50+ positions so it just so happened that I got put in the position where I get to be face-to-face with people instead of being in an office environment.

4. I can say that right now I like networking the most, so far in my internship. One valuable thing I’ve learned from my supervisor is that I can set up meetings with people and pick their brains about their positions. For example, Jonathan Supranowitz is the VP of Public Relations of the New York Knicks and I was able to get in contact with him and learn about his job and exactly what he does. And in the same time, take in advice.

5. I’m not sure there is anything I feel would enhance or improve my internship right now.

• 4.    Edward  |  October 2nd, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I am interning at CBS Broadcast Center’s Inside Edition, where my official title is a production intern, though it’s not the most fitting title. My primary responsibilities include checking emails and voicemails, along with printing out the daily ratings for the previous day’s show.
    After all of the clerical work is done, the other interns and I have the freedom to float around and spend our days assisting and learning from whichever department we decide we want to work in for the day. Because we have so much freedom, I’ve done my best to float around and get to know people from all departments, as well as their roles in making the show happen everyday. However, I think my favorite aspect of the company, and the department that I would be most interested in joining, is the editing department.
    Most of the editors work on “packages”, which is basically one of the stories for the show. This comes with all the footage, and they have to assemble it into a neat package that will fit in with the rest of the show. The editors go through the script line by line with producers and decide what visuals the audience will see throughout the story. Editors also have the task of deciding what transitions will take place between clips, and, depending on the story, may have to blur out faces, or do other slight visual effects.
    However there are other editors whose sole job is to work on promos for the next show. In this department, editors get a script, and have creative license to use whatever clips they want from all of the packages, however they must get it approved by both the legal department and the executive producers of the show.
    I’ve sat in on many editing sessions which have been incredibly informative. The first thing I learned, which was somewhat surprising ,was that the industry standard editing program is AVID. A long time editor told me that, while Adobe Premier is rising in popularity, Avid editors usually get paid more, and have the opportunity to work many more jobs than Premier editors. This was shocking to me, because I have never even seen Avid up until this internship, and being that this is the field I want to go into, I feel like I’m arriving extremely late to a party where I don’t necessarily belong yet because I am primarily a Premier editor. However, this has given me the motivation to learn how to use Avid, and luckily, by making friends with some editors, I have even gotten some hands on experiences, and informal learning sessions with the program, which I feel will be greatly helpful for my future.
    Besides that I also learned that editing, while it seems like quite a solitary job, is actually extremely collaborative as you must work with a producer to get your job done. While this can be both a positive and a negative, I personally am very social and enjoy my job a lot more when I have the opportunity to exercise that side of myself, so I was happy that this was the case. Another surprising fact that I learned, is that many of the editors were freelancers and not staffers. This can be a very positive thing for people who like doing a variety of jobs, or taking vacation whenever they feel like it, however I was glad to know that there still are staff editing jobs, because I prefer stability and would like to land a position as a staff member rather than as a freelancer.
    This internships is much like what I expected, however a lot more free, which is probably my favorite aspect of the job. Being able to float around to different departments allows me to fully experience what different jobs are available to people working in media, and more narrowly the news. Having this freedom gives me a much more definitive idea of what I would like to do when getting out of school. It also allows me to be very social with the crew and build a lot of good connections; because if there’s one thing I know, it’s that life is much more about who you know than what you know.
    All in all, I think that this is an absolutely fantastic internship, and I’d find it difficult to think of ways to improve it. Due to the freedom we are given, this internship relies heavily on putting yourself out there, and the only problems I’ve run into are the times when I haven’t done that.

• 5.    Robert Herrera  |  November 5th, 2016 at 3:42 am

I was asked to come back for the Spring semester at my internship with Madison Square Garden. Originally it was just for September-December but my supervisor asked me to stay through May based on the good job I’ve done so far. I feel extremely excited about that and accomplished but I know that I am not done in my pursuit of a full-time job.

From the book I’ve learned that there are opportunities in the Media field but it is up to the person to go out there and make it happen for themselves. I learned to understand trends in Media and because of this I have noticed the decline in Broadcast Television and Radio (my original interest) and have set my focus on Advertising and Public Relations. I plan to continue to network with the Public Relations department while at my internship and to build relationships with the people within the department.

I have come across an opening in the Public Relations department at MSG and I plan on applying as soon as possible. One goal I set on was updating my resume. Thanks to the Career Development and Internships program at Queens College my resume is polished. It emphasizes my major and the courses I’ve taken where as my previous resume simply listed my previous jobs.

I have studied the Madison Square Garden directory and have familiarized myself with the Public Relations Department at Madison Square Garden. With my updated resume and networking I plan to apply to the entry level opening and see what happens front there. In the meantime I will continue to do my job and finish up my last semester at Queens College (Spring 2017).